The last meeting was held on 23 February 2016. Items of discussion included:
- The Minutes from the previous meeting on 10 November 2015 were agreed
- The national follow up Inspection of Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA)
- Transforming Care: North East & Cumbria Fast Track Learning Disability Transformation Plan
- The Confidential Inquiry into premature deaths of people with learning disabilities (CIPOLD)
- HM Inspectorate of Constabulary Report: Cleveland Police effectiveness 2015 (Vulnerability)
- Care Quality Commission Provider Report: North Tees & Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust
- The Board’s Annual Communications and Engagement Report: 2015-16 was published
- Quarter three 2015-16 Teeswide safeguarding performance report:
- Neglect & Acts of Omission (34%) & Physical Abuse (26%) most common form of S.42 enquiry
- Self-Neglect significantly increased up to 6% (new definition from April 2015)
- Numbers of enquiries conducted in care homes is down 11% from the previous six months
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguard referrals continue to increase and are up 37% from 2014-15.
The Safeguarding Adults Decision Support Guidance was ratified for publication (title changed from Decision Support Tool).
Refuge produced a Report: My Money My Life in December 2015 exploring the extent of the problem, and link between Domestic Violence and Financial Abuse.
A Survey of Medicines Report in January 2016 from The Patients Association found as many as 50% of care home residents are affected by swallowing difficulties (Dysphagia); but only 10% of the homes surveyed had a specific protocol to guide staff in administering medication to people with Dysphagia, and only 20% had arranged training.
In February 2016 the Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations produced a Report: Time for Change – The Challenge Ahead (Sir Stephen Bubb original author of the Winterbourne View report). This recommends that the Government create a Learning Disabilities Commissioner’s office.
In February 2016 Skills for Care published their Adult Social Care Sector and Workforce 2015 North East Report:
- Estimated 86,500 jobs in the region in the adult social care sector (25% reduction since 2011)
- 29% of all workers were new to their roles in the previous 12 months
- Turnover rate regionally for Registered Managers was 21.9% (Teeswide 28.75%).
In February 2016 the Care Quality Commission published an Interactive Map showing current care home ratings.
The Stockton-on-Tees launch in January 2015 means the whole of the Cleveland force area is now covered by Operation Encompass, which is a domestic violence support service.
It is estimated that at least 80% of sexual violence offences go unreported. A video has been launched by the Cleveland Police & Crime Commissioner to improve awareness, which coincided with the inaugural Sexual Abuse & Violence Awareness Week 1-5 February.
The Board has now published free to download posters which can be used to help promote awareness of adult safeguarding.
Following on from the TSAB’s conference on 29 January 2016 a 10 minute Video has been created for professionals in relation to Self-Neglect & Hoarding. This provides a 10 step guide on how to provide person centered care within the legal framework.
The Board’s E-Learning Portal has now been launched in conjunction with Virtual College. The first three courses are: Safeguarding Adults at Risk; Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (more to follow). Click this link to access the Portal.
Prevention Information Sheets
National Dates & Local Events
National Stalking Awareness Day 24 April 2016
If you have any suggestions for these bulletins, or would like to promote your event. Tell Us
Bulletin Print Version (pdf) (A3 Booklet Format)
Ensuring our safeguarding arrangements act to help and protect adults