The Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board (TSAB) is hosting this event for organisations/safeguarding champions who are delivering services in Hartlepool and Stockton-on-Tees to adults who are experiencing, or at heightened risk of abuse or neglect.
The aim is to support professionals who have responsibility for safeguarding within their own organisation (champions), to update their knowledge, and to provide useful resources that they can share with colleagues and service users. This will help to improve policies, procedures and the overall culture needed to protect adults, whilst helping to build the ‘whole community approach’ to the prevention of adult abuse and neglect.
What is a Safeguarding Champion?
The person within an organisation who can do these 10 things:
- Ensure that there are appropriate safeguarding policies and procedures in place
- Ensure the adult is placed at the centre of all safeguarding related work
- Actively seek feedback from service users to ensure their voice is heard and used to help shape practice
- Help to ensure that the workforce is appropriately trained in this subject
- Ensure the organisation learns from the most serious cases of abuse
- Raise awareness by helping design, connect to, and support TSAB campaigns
- Specifically improve awareness and network with minority and marginalised groups (‘The Seldom Heard’)
- Ensure the organisation provides bespoke adult safeguarding information and advice for clients and service users
- Influence the culture inside the organisation and wider community
- Share good practice.
The TSAB will support and give you all the necessary resources to enable you to achieve this.
Who should apply?
This event is for existing TSAB Safeguarding Champions and anybody that performs a similar role within the organisations listed below.
- Advocacy Providers
- Alcohol and Substance Misuse Agencies
- Agencies Supporting Carers, and or Personal Assistants
- Care Providers (e.g. Champions in Medication, Dementia, Safeguarding)
- Education Providers
- GP Practices
- Housing Agencies
- Mental Health Service Providers
- North East Ambulance Service (NEAS)
- Other Relevant Voluntary and Community Sector Organisations
- Organisations working with Minority and Marginalised Groups
- Sexual Health Service Providers
- Trading Standards
We would also welcome anyone who would like to volunteer to be a Safeguarding Champion.
Overview of the Session
Registration is at 9:00am and the event will start at 9:20am.
Sessions will be delivered by a variety of local speakers and will include case studies and tablework. Delegates will be supported and encouraged to give their feedback and share ideas throughout the event, which will help to highlight good practice in relation to Making Safeguarding Personal.
Areas for discussion will include:
- The National and Local Picture linked to Adult Safeguarding
- Sexual Abuse/Exploitation
- Learning from Safeguarding Adult Reviews (SARs)
- The Challenge of Engaging with Service Users
- Financial Abuse and the links to Mental Capacity
- How to Report Abuse
- Preventing Adult Abuse – Safeguarding Champions Role
- Making best use of Local Support Services
Delegates will also receive a ‘Safeguarding Champions’ resource pack, which will include a variety of materials to assist champions in their role.
Requesting a Place
If you already have an account, please log in first before applying for a place.
If you do not have an account, please complete the form below – you will then receive an email from ‘WordPress’ which will explain how to set up your password to enable you to access your account in the future. (The email may appear in your junk folder).
Please complete by 30 April – please note that completing a form does not guarantee you a place, however we suggest you provisionally book this date in your diary until we contact you. We will send confirmation of your place in due course. If you are unsuccessful you will be informed and your name may be added to a waiting list.
This course is free to attend, however if your place is confirmed and you are unable to attend you must inform the Business Unit by 11:30pm on Wednesday 5 June 2019. Cancellation after this date or failure to attend will result in a £50 charge.
Disclaimer and Privacy Statement
We will hold the information you provide in order to administrate and deliver these activities. For further details please click here: https://www.tsab.org.uk/disclaimer-privacy-statement/
If you have any queries please contact the Business Unit on [email protected]